Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I want some Southern Fried Chicken

My parents came into town last weekend, so inevitablely we went and did something Georgian. We took them to a prisoner of war camp in Andersonville. Now I'm sure that some people are thinking, "Wow your parents are that exciting that you felt like you were in prison!" Actually, since it was Veterans day it was kind of fun to go to Andersonville. It was depressing to see how 45,000 people were crammed into a small 16 square acre area. 13,000 people died, mostly of gangrene or starvation. The prison was separated by a wooden marker which was called the 'dead zone', so that anyone who walked within it would be shot dead. It was later used in German concentration camps, so "thank you" civil war for advancing military artillery and death camps. The cemetery that is there was decorated with beautiful flags. I was really glad that we drove the two hours to get there, despite nearly starving on the way back because we wanted to eat at this Bangladeshi restaurant in Atlanta. It was well worth the starve. All in all my father was happy to see something authentically Southern and my mother was happy to see us and the "grandcat." Everyone had a great weekend and was worn out, and needed a vacation from the vacation.

I'm in the dead zone!

2 comments:

Jacki said...

That is exactly how I feel when my parents visit. I need a vacation from a vacation! I love it!

admin said...

You look so mischievous there in the dead zone!