Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year, New Attempts


I’ve decided on two new resolutions and I think I will keep an old one. Since I started out so good with walking daily and then it went to crap, I think I will redo that resolution. I hope to get Daniel into the acupuncturist so that he can get his energy up and we will help each other with this one. Okay really I’m assigning him a resolution since his most favorite is to quit smoking.

One of my resolutions I stole from a friend, but it is so simple yet so worthy that I can’t let it slide…I’m going to floss every night.  Now I know myself better than to totally have a perfect record of this, so I am shooting for perfection while hoping to do it three times a week.  I’ve started, but end up doing it two weeks in a row and then nothing for two months.  I know not too exciting, but important as I’m getting old and my teeth are falling out (not really, but I’ve had some troubles).

My next resolution I think will be kind of fun reporting as I’m going to be able to keep up with the blog this way. I want to do more family history.  Even though I’m a total Anglophile and love that side my father’s family, I think I’m going to dig around with my father’s German heritage.  I’m at complete loss at how to go about this, but meh it’s part of the adventure.  My sister-in-law should be able to supply words such as birth, death, and occupation, since she is German, so that should help.  The biggest problem is I have family that goes back before census’(I should know the Latin plural for this and don’t; boo High School Latin that didn’t stick) and of course they lived in an area that was Prussian, Russian, or whatever conquering force at the time was.  Of that means burning and pillaging, so who knows what is left around. I have very little German history to go on, so this could end up being a huge shot in the dark.  Plus I’m really annoyed with all the genealogist I work with because all they ever know how to do is look up the American census and find everything they want and have no idea how to really dig, so I am stumbling for sure just to find a good starting place.  Ultimately, I hope to have another little expedition to see where some of these people lived. Maybe more grave standing in weeds will take place! I hope that I find some scandalist-scandal that will make for some good posts.  Which just shows that I really am a gossiper, I even want to know dead peoples problems and troubles.  Maybe I will find pictures!!!!

I have a backup plan if I really get stuck.   I seriously want to catch up on my scrapbook as I am now four years behind.  I no longer really take many pictures because I know it will only make the pile higher.  This means I will have to put down my knitting which rankles a bit, but I should at least set an example of marking my life while I curse my ancestors for being paranoid atheist who refused to leave some mark that they existed.

1 comment:

Jody said...

I think those are all great resolutions! Especially flossing. And family history. And scrapbooking. Can't wait to hear about ALL of them (ok, maybe not the flossing but I still think that is a great resolution).