Sunday, December 16, 2007

Six of my Favorite Things

So Daniel and I have decided to take the tag that has been going around and tell six mostly unknown facts about us. I hope that you enjoy weird facts of life!
Analisa:
1. I played the flute and was good enough to be invited to go to a musical conservatory in Paris; however, due to lack of funds and wanting to finish high school in the States I never pursued it.
2. I dressed up in a chicken outfit for a ward party to play chicken foot. I went around to all of the tables clucking and let everyone try to guess who was in the chicken suit, and no one could guess.
3. I was in a terrorist attack. I was in London in 2005 when my tube train blew up. Fortunately, I woke up that morning with a sudden dislike of my job and decided to get back at it that day by going into work fairly late. I will never know if my train was the one that blew up or was the train after the blown up one that got caught in the tunnel, but Heavenly Father and I both know that I couldn't have handled being that near the explosion.
4. I have written and published a book for my folklore class. It can only be read by checking it out of the Marriott Library at the University of Utah.
5. I have done every major form of dancing except modern. I was never very good at it and at one point thought I looked like different animals when I danced; however my favorite was looking like a monkey. I do have to admit that I can't walk straight, and started to take ballet which helped my balance. I became the most graceful ballerina in my studio and was fortunate to have classes by one of the top modern dance teachers in the nation (she wasn't at that point in time, but is now).
6. I have this slight infatuation with the BBC. I use to watch all of the British comedy late night on Saturdays when I was in junior and high school. When my family finally got cable, I found BBC America and broke my almost five years without watch TV rule and watched nothing else by that station for the next three years. Daniel says that I can justify any TV show, no matter how bad, as long as I saw it on BBC America, BBC 1&2, ITV, Sky TV, BBC Wales, and BBC Scotland. It ended up as a good thing because that is how we found Doctor Who and who couldn't live without Doctor Who once you've seen it.

Daniel:

1. I've written a novel, which is unpublished. I did submit it for publication once, but got a nice rejection letter for my efforts instead. I'm okay with this, though, since I'm still learning a lot. But at least I wrote it.

2. When I was a kid, I had a teddy bear that swore at people. Despite his rudeness, he was considered a member of the family; one year we even had a birthday party for him, complete with a cake. Everyone went along with it, because hey, we all wanted to eat cake.

3. I used to train in Kendo - Japanese sword-fighting. It was mostly accompanied with Iaido, which is the "art form" of the sword, while Kendo would be considered the sport form (that's the best way to describe it at least). I only did it for a year, however, since schooling got so busy after that. It was a lot of fun, I still have the armor and some of the weapons.

4. I once ate grilled chicken stomach. It was tasty, if not a bit chewy.

5. I've written a Romance-themed short story. Partly as a joke and partly as a bet. My wife didn't think I could write it, that I'd be too embarrassed. I decided to prove her wrong and ended up writing the most cliched, terrible piece of writing ever to be put on paper. Although, now that I think about it, it couldn't be any worse than Stephanie Meyer's Twilight - please don't kill me, Stephanie Myer fans. Okay, I'll admit, it was worse than that. But it's like this, at a writer's workshop I attended taught by Orson Scott Card, he said: "Just write a suicide story and get it out of the way, and never show it it anyone." I kind of feel that way with this story, just write a romance story and get it out of the way, and never show anyone.

6. I once took a career placement test in junior high. I tried to slant all the answers so that it would make it look like I was interested in writing. When I got the test back, it told me I should be a bus driver.

9 comments:

admin said...

I once did modern dance and for about a year, I was in a semi-professional dance troupe that toured around the local area. I'm not even sure if Daniel knows about that.

VirtualM said...

I was hoping you'd post the six things. So many things we probably never would've found out about you two!
We have talented friends, and now you should add 'demolition' to your list of talents :) (Thanks for your help!)

VirtualM said...

(P.S. The talented friends I alluded to in my comment are you two, in case you didn't catch that)

Daniel said...

jbroshek,

Actually, I think I do remember you mentioning something about that. It was before your mission, right? I didn't know about the local touring thing, though.

Jacki said...

I play the flute too Annie. In fact, my little brother just brought me my flute. We should do a duet!

admin said...

actually, I played the flute for a little while too...

Daniel said...

jbroshek,

Hey, didn't you do Kendo for a while, too?

brenna said...

Daniel, I'll have to read your romance story. I'd be interested to compare it to Twilight. ;)

Daniel said...

rybern,

Well, there are no vampires in this one, but there is a Brazilian guy.