Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ode to Music

I love music. It is always there. It picks you up, pumps you up, makes you laugh, and reminds you of good and bad times in your life. The I-pod is the single greatest invention because as Daniel puts it "you now have your own movie music montage of your life." It is true because when I hear one of my favorite songs when I'm grocery shopping listening to my I-pod, I really do feel like the girl in the movies passing time with music to get on with the story. Anyways I really wanted to write this because I saw VH1's 100 greatest hits of the 90s. Now I love the 80s and always told myself that I was an 80s girl, but I always had to learn half the songs on their 80s count down as well as somehow knowing the other half. Last night I started to watch the 90s count down and knowing almost every song except the really hard core R&B (Jay Z, Tupac, etc). I kept screeching "oh I remember this song, or I love this one, or even oh no I have to change the channel because I still can't stand this song even a decade later." Now I know my sister-in-law could attest to how excited I get about 90s music especially when I found the 90s station on satellite radio, and started dancing in the car to every other song. In fact, I learned that I had finally became an "Atlantian" that same day because I was listening to early 90s R&B (because it is the only kind I can stand), Salt n' Pepper, bopping my head with all the windows down, bass flarin', in a Cadillac (pimped out no less because it was brand new--it was my moms) in Utah. I remembered that a week ago Daniel and I saw someone doing the exact same thing and we stared them down. Now I was getting stared down by a bunch of Latinos. I busted up laughing, but I couldn't help it. I am missing most of the music of this decade because both of our cars don't have the radio. I think that this relieves Daniel because he knows that he can get me to talk in the car instead of hearing me sing, or pay more attention to the music. Before the I-pod I loved my car and room the best because I could get all of my music all the time as loud as long as many times as I wanted. I am nearly at my ropes end and hope to have a radio working in one car soon. So this article is dedicated to all those people who love music especially the decade they grew up, but most importantly to my brother-in-law, Scott, who always talk music with me as well teach me the greatest hits of the 80s.
So here is my list of Artists who have impacted me in someway:
James Taylor--could you ever get over that voice? Fire and Rain
Guster--what song don't they make to fit your life, plus bongos how could you go wrong? Fa Fa
Damien Rice-- who would have thought a cello, guitar, and two incredible voices would make so many music montages? Volcano
Tori Amos--her popularity has died over the years, but I truly believe she is an musician, you can never go wrong with a voice and a piano (which I live many artist with this combo) Cornflake girl

1 comment:

admin said...

You know, running long distances is so much easier with an iPod...