Monday, February 2, 2009

January blues

January is the worst month of the year. It usually is slow because there are no more parties. Everyone is poor from Christmas; the weather is blah (and even cold in Atlanta). To help with the January Blues; I remember my mother would always start a new project or hobby just to get through the month.
For New Years, we went over to a friend's house and played their Xbox. There was some classic singing from American Idol. When I sang, I was able to get the little bitty kids to dance with my smooth moves and way "talented" singing.

Then my parents came to visit (to get out of the inversion in SLC). We had a nice relaxed weekend and went to visit the Little White House in Warm Springs. This is where President Franklin D Roosevelt went to try to recover from Polio. It actually influenced most of his presidency, and helped him create all the programs for the New Deal. He opened a rehabilitation center there that is still in operation today.


Our biggest excitement was getting a bookcase. We sorely needed one. Dos, our cat, jumped on one of the shelves and it broke. We decided that we would go to Office Max to get really sturdy shelves (thank you Dad for the suggestion) and we bought three thinking that it would give us extra room to grow. Well, we put the shelves together and got our books together and they were stacked in piles and piles. Soon our bookcase was full except for one shelf. I put some pictures of us on the open shelf and it makes the shelves feel like ours. Daniel kept looking at the bookcases that day admiring them. He felt all grown up (I don't know if that is because he put the bookcases together or because he had that many books).

4 comments:

Susan G. said...

how fun!! I love the bookshelves..the only downside is that they tend to fill up so fast! I love reading your posts they are always so funny!! Definately worth the wait. How do you know Kathryn and John David? I peeked at their site and sure enough it's the John David from the ward I lived in when I was a little girl (we moved when I was in third grade!) But I just love her little kids quotes...I was honestly laughing so hard!!!!

Shawn and Alisha Stratton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shawn and Alisha Stratton said...

heck yea it's been cold in atlanta...ridiculous if you ask me! the book shelf is huge...shawn and i wouldn't be able to even fill in 1 shelf of that thing...being that we hate to read (sad, i know). karaoke is so much fun, and i'm sure you set the record for "best voice"! we missed you at our super bowl party this year. did your cell # change? i sent you guys an invite. take care, and send those wintery blues out the door!!

claire said...

I love Warm Springs!

I see you have discovered the Law of the Bookshelf... that the books will expand to fit all available space. They look great!