Saturday, August 30, 2008

The End of The Summer


Well it is now the end of the summer and I am now back to the 50 seater airplane. This means that I will have to work all by myself. I will admit that I am dreading this especially after my last crew this month. Awesome people, one pilot is a southern farmer with a mustache who is very quiet, but you don't want to mess with him. The other pilot is from upstate New York and has all of the attitudes of a New Yorker, and yet he was awesome. The other flight attendant was an Irish Catholic New Yorker who transplanted to Cincinnati. Let me tell you I could not stop laughing because of all our dynamics.
This last trip involved me breaking out into hives because we weren't sure if I got bed bugs or had too many Sour Patch kids (that my captain furnished for me), my first officer slammed my finger in the door, and the seal on one of the exit door broke mid flight right as I was standing there. Now this may sound scary and I did scare an employee who was flying for fun because I ran down the aisle trying to call the captain making sure we weren't going to decompress, but in my defense we were still climbing altitude and a quick walk turned into a run. Anyways it turned out okay because other than the pop and rushing sound noise the pressurization was still intact.

My favorite part of the trip was going to Panama City and we decided to go to the barbecue place--Smitty's. I asked my farmer pilot if it was any good because I was picky because I was use to the best barbecue. He said it was okay, but not like Texas barbecue. I new I was in trouble because my first job was for a family owned catering company that specialized in barbecue chicken and ribs. I KNOW how to make awesome barbecue chicken and ribs. We use to call the sauce charbecue because the chicken and ribs would be covered the stuff, you would smell like it after work forever unless you took a shower. I can remember my sister-in-law showing up to work and spraying herself with some bath and body works stuff and then just smell like charbecue the rest of the day. I work there for seven years and the only place that has better chicken and ribs in Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Llano Texas. President Bush has even been there. It is family owned as well, and the meat there is amazing. It is in a podunk town between Austin and San Antoino, but it is so worth the drive. These places are what I would call barbecue, but in Panama City and the "deep" south their barbecue is not real barbecue. Its like sliced beef with no sauce. So it just tastes like a beef (pork, chicken) sandwich. Now my pilot from New York did get chicken and ribs. They seemed okay, but lacked sauce. He would sauce it up and then took his fork and knife and then tried to cut the beef rib. Finally I couldn't stand it and I said "What are you doing? You don't eat it like that! Use your hands." He said back, "Well geez, Analisa, I'm not sure I can eat now if you are going to stare and critique! I'm from the North we don't eat stuff like this." I busted up laughing because I had never seen barbecue like this and I couldn't believe that Texas and Utah could have the same taste in Barbecue.

4 comments:

VirtualM said...

mmmmm meat.

VirtualM said...

DUDE are you watching ANTM???? We're recording it - it's so deliciously bad, you need to come over and watch it!

milk made baby said...

The BBQ looks great but I don't envy you flying on the 50-seater plane.

milk made baby said...

Whoa I just realized I'm not signed in as me, it's Emlyn!